Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:24:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Subject:   Re: OS portability (was: Things you learn in school)

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 10:25 AM 7/12/2001, Chris Dillon wrote:
>
> >There is, its GNU CC.
>
> Darn -- the GNU Cancer Compiiler. Seems like it's extinguishing
> every other option. But at least it would make a port possible.

Yeah, it makes sense that they're using GCC, since they ported Linux
to the ETRAX.  They obviously didn't care about the license at that
point or they would have chosen a BSD system to port.

I have to wonder though, wether the GPL isn't hurting them.  They've
created an excellent embedded processor that someone will have to
either write their own OS for or port a more IP-friendly OS if they
have any IP they need to protect but would end up falling under the
GPL with Linux (kernel modifications and so forth).  It doesn't make
any sense, but then again, a whole lot of things don't.

If someone interested in doing a BSD port points the license issue out
to Axis, and they actually see the light, they might fund the port
since it would attract developers who couldn't base something on Linux
for licensing reasons and don't have the resources or desire to create
or port another OS.  Someone just has to ask them.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet
   - Available for IA32 (Intel x86) and Alpha architectures
   - IA64 (Itanium), PowerPC, and ARM architectures under development
   - http://www.freebsd.org