Date:      Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:41:43 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Carlos_Mendes_Lu=EDs?= <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Requirements Final Draft Attempt #2 :-/

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>  > On 1 Aug 2003 at 15:50, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > > A few months ago someone mentioned another idea on this
>  > > list, which I would like to repeat.  An automated mechanism
>  > > could contact every FTP server (say, once per day) and
>  > > check which collections that server is carrying, i.e. which
>  > > releases and architectures, whether they have ISOs and the
>  > > FTP install directories, and which package sets are there.
>  > >
>  > > That information would be collected and converted into a
>  > > "survey" of all FreeBSD mirror sites.  This file should
>  > > be easy to parse.  That survey would be put on the master
>  > > FTP server, and _every_ mirror would be required to sync
>  > > that particular file often enough (say, once per day).
>  > > It could be called /pub/FreeBSD/.mirror-info or whatever.
>  >
>  > You should see http://www.freebsdmirrors.org/
>
> I know that one.  It has some similarities to my suggestion,
> but it's not exactly the same.

1) Does not allow for sites off-DNS, currently
2) It's outside FreeBSD.org control.

     We could use help or ideas from him, but not implement the same
way.  I prefer Oliver's.  It's more powerful, distributed, reliable and
automated.

                                         Jonny

--
João Carlos Mendes Luís - Networking Engineer - jonny@jonny.eng.br