Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 12:17:21 -0600
From:      Nathan Ahlstrom <nrahlstr@winternet.com>
To:        scottz@iprg.nokia.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can freebsd run on top of power pc???

Scott Zhang <scottz@iprg.nokia.com> wrote:
> We are using FreeBSD as operating system in some of our Pentium
> processor based products. It works fine so far.
>
> Since FreeBSD is design for Intel platform only, we are a kind of
> stuck with Intel processor. I am wondering if it is possible to modify
> our existing operation system(FreeBSD based) to make it run on Motorola
> Power PC based system. If the answer is yes, what is the main work to
> be done.  How much effort it may take(say, how many months it takes for
> an very skilled sr. engineer to work on it, roughly)
>
> I know these kind of questions are not easy to answer, but any feedback
> from you will be very helpful for us to make a strategic decision.
>
> Let me restate my question again:
> Q1. Is it possible to modify FreeBSD to make it run on top of Motorola
> Power PC?

Yes it would be possible.

> Q2. If the answer to Q1 is positive. How much effort it takes. What is
> the main area need to be modified.

I would say 8 months for basic functionality, 1-1.5 years for full
functionality.

> Looking forword to hear from you soon. Your help will be highly
> appreciated

You may also want to look at NetBSD (http://www.netbsd.org/) which has
several PowerPC porting efforts underway.

If you do decide to port FreeBSD to the PowerPC be sure to let us know,
as many people may be interested.

Good Luck,

Nathan

--