Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 18:46:04 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        DaleCo Help Desk <daleco@daleco.biz>, FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: What is vnlru really?

# Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com / 2002-10-26 14:17:50 -0400:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, DaleCo Help Desk wrote:
> > PL> PS - Is `arp -a` the most reliable way to get one's current IP address?
> > What's wrong with "ifconfig" ???
> > Kevin Kinsey
>
> I was not familiar with ifconfig and am surprised at such a similar
> name to winipcfg for Win98.

    try ipconfig. IIRC it works even on w98 (no box in sight to test),
    and i'm positive that's the name on NT4, NT5, and XP.

    oh, and you're pointed at ifconfig(8) by the SEE ALSO section of
    arp(8). have you read it?

> It seems arp -a tells me one IP while ipconfig tells me another.  Is
> that because I'm using DHCP, or is arp -a maybe reporting a DNS value,
> not my currently-assigned IP?

    arp -a doesn't display your ip at all. Read The Fine Manpage, and
    experiment with the other options.

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely ignore
your message.      see http://www.eyrie.org./~eagle/faqs/questions.html