Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:33:22 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        scott_long@btc.adaptec.com, mark_salyzyn@adaptec.com, obrien@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: asr can not map memory?

> I just got the Adaptec 4 port IDE raid card 2400A.
>
> It doesn't probe right:
> asr0: could not map memory
>
> I added some debug printouts to the asr driver and pci code.
>
> asr0: <Adaptec Caching SCSI RAID> mem 0xf6000000-0xf7ffffff irq 5 at device 5
> .1 on pci2
> pcib2: device asr0 requested unsupported memory range 0xf6000000-0xf6400000
> pcib2: device asr0 requested unsupported memory range 0x0-0xec9fffff (decodin
> g 0xec900000-0xec9fffff, 0xf6000000-0xfbffffff)
> asr: map failed at: 2602 p:f6000000 f6400000 l:00400000
> asr0: could not map memory
> device_probe_and_attach: asr0 attach returned 6
>
> wtf is going on here?

Your BIOS is assigning a memory range to the card that we don't believe
the bridge passes through.  Our check is bogus because (as you see) the
range is actually legitimate (and we booger up some calculations).  Add
the PCI_ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_IO_RANGE option and this should go away.

You should have bought a 3ware controller. 8)

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not