Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 18:43:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading/CVSUPping with bad ISP connection

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> OK, i read the docs on the site and now i'm *really* confused.  I usually
> make a new kernel before a new world.  Also, i haven't really done any
> merging or in any way touched /etc after building a new world.  Maybe i
> get away with that because i have a very simple single-user desktop system
> and i've only been tracking -STABLE since 3.2.  Should i expect a lot more
> work for 3.4, or any major revision after this one?

	The amount of work increases the farther away you get from the
last time you updated. 3.2 -> 3.4 should be pretty easy (although if I
recall correctly the $Id -> $FreeBSD change was in there, so it will look
a lot worse than it really is). One of the reasons I wrote mergemaster was
to automate the "duh" part of the process to the point where it would be
easier to look at and evaluate the real changes. The other thing that
saves you is that we work really hard not to make your system _working_
depend on a new frob in rc-land. You might not get a new function turned
on, but you should still be able to boot and run with an older rc*.

HTH,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"