Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:35:36 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        moncrg@ma.ultranet.com, FreeBSD Net <FreeBSD-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to filter out igmp spam on a ppp -nat dialup?

> > this traffic is holding my ppp connection open
> > for hours at a time, is there any way to filter
> > this out
> >
> > I tried adding `set filter in  0 deny igmp`
> > to my ppp.conf config but then I couldn't do external
> > DNS.
>
> Try
>
>   set filter alive 0 deny igmp
>   set filter alive 1 permit 0 0
>
> Maybe the DNS problem was caused by not having a final permit rule
> (falling off the end of the filter set is the same as a deny).

You ought to take the approch of specifing what sort of traffic you'd
like to have keep up the link, rather than trying to exclude types of
traffic as you happen to find it.  With a simple filter like that you'll
still have the link kept up by ICMP (e.g, PING, etc.) traffic.  Or
if you decide to run NTP, you'll have the link kept up by that periodic
traffic as well.  I you configure inclusion rules for the traffic you
care about (e.g., SMTP, ssh, etc) you'll be less likely to be surprised
in the future.

BTW, the IGMP traffic is probably due to the remote RAS box being multicast
capable and it doing periodic group membership queries on the link to see
what multicast groups the host on the other end of the link was
subscribed to.

louie