Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:14:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        krassi@bulinfo.net
Cc:        mav@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mount root from SD card?

In message: <20090121.100533.-1955669401.imp@bsdimp.com>
            "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> writes:
: In message: <4977500A.7060902@bulinfo.net>
:             Krassimir Slavchev <krassi@bulinfo.net> writes:
: :
: : M. Warner Losh wrote:
: : > In message: <4977236E.2020409@bulinfo.net>
: : >             Krassimir Slavchev <krassi@bulinfo.net> writes:
: : > Boot with verbose messages is here:
: : >
: : > http://mnemonic.bulinfo.net/~krassi/ARM/arm.verbose
: : >
: : >> This looks very similar to the data corruption I saw when I had
: : >> enabled multiblock read.  To track this down, we're going to have to
: : >> print the actual data returned for each sector...
: : >
: : >> Warner
: :
: :
: : Here is a dump of data right after the byte swapping in
: : at91_mci_read_done():
: :
: : http://mnemonic.bulinfo.net/~krassi/ARM/sd.dump
: :
: : and here is the first 1M of the SD card:
: :
: : http://mnemonic.bulinfo.net/~krassi/ARM/sd.bin
:
: Looks like we're getting some data corruption:
:
: CMD: 11 ARG 0 len 512
:
: ff ff ff ff fc 31 c0 8e c0 8e d8 8e d0 bc 00 7c
: 89 e6 bf 00 06 b9 00 01 f3 a5 89 fd b1 08 f3 ab
: fe 45 f2 e9 00 8a f6 46 bb 20 75 08 84 d2 78 07
: 80 4e bb 40 8a 56 ba 88 56 00 e8 fc 00 52 bb c2
: ...
:
: and then:
:
: CMD: 11 ARG 0 len 512
:
: 00 00 55 aa fc 31 c0 8e c0 8e d8 8e d0 bc 00 7c
: 89 e6 bf 00 06 b9 00 01 f3 a5 89 fd b1 08 f3 ab
: fe 45 f2 e9 00 8a f6 46 bb 20 75 08 84 d2 78 07
: 80 4e bb 40 8a 56 ba 88 56 00 e8 fc 00 52 bb c2
: ...
:
: So it looks like the first 4 bytes are corrupted on the read.  If you
: look closely at the data on the device, you'll see that 'fc 31 c0 8e'
: are the first 4 bytes of the reads are the 'left over' data from prior
: data streams.  This didn't used to be the case in the prior code
: before the recent changes.  The only way we're going to find the bad
: change is to do a binary search on the svn changes to find out where
: we go off the rails.  This problem seems familiar to me, but I can't
: quite put my finger on what the root-cause was last time I had it.

I should have said 'fc 31 c0 8e' are the first four bytes of the data
on the device, and 'ff ff ff ff' and '00 00 55 aa' are the leftover
data which is corrupting things.  The latter is actually the last 4
bytes of the block, which indicates that our PMC usage has stopped too
soon, or that we have left over PMC data from a previous "read" that
didn't specify enough data to be transferred.  I suspect that we're
sending a command down and not expecting enough data.  On other
bridges we toss the data harmlessly.  On at91, the data is still in
the FIFO for the mci device, so we see it first on the next read.  At
least that's the theory that just popped into my head, and also the
root-cause that I now recall from before when I saw similar
problems...

Of course, given the number of transfers that had a lot of 'ff' in
them, maybe the PMC is trasnferring data that doesn't really exist
yet...

Warner