Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 08:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shaun <sfinn@thecore.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Cassandra Perkins <cassy@loop.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail 8.8.6 and Running Out of Swap

On Fri, 19 Sep 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 1997 at 10:11:46PM -0700, Cassandra Perkins wrote:
> > Since I upgraded from sendmail 8.6.12 to 8.8.6, the systemp started
> > reporting the kernel messages:
> >
> > Sep 18 20:00:42 patty /kernel: swap_pager: out of space
> > Sep 18 20:00:42 patty /kernel: Process 15473 killed by vm_pageout -- out
> > of swap
> >
> > The mail server has 32MB of RAM and 128MB swap.  The server doesn't
> > appears any more active than before.  Is there a possible bug or option in
> > the new sendmail version that could be causing this problem?
>
> There's no a priori reason to expect that this is related to sendmail;
> the only thing pointing to is is the upgrade.  Take a look at your
> process sizes (ps and top) and swap space usage (pstat -s).  They
> should point you towards the real culprit.
>
> Swap usage seems to be on the increase.  A year ago, I got by quite
> happily with 50 MB on a 32 MB system.  Now I have increased memory to
> 96 MB, but frequently use up to 200 MB swap.  I can't make up my mind
> whether this reflects changes in my habits or changes in the system.

I experienced a similiar problem about a week ago. Same complaint
on the console with sendmail and out of swap. It actually turned out
to be procmail attempting to deliver a 40MB email. Once I removed
the large message from the mailq everything went back to normal.

| Shaun M. Finn                    TechnoCore Communications, Inc. |
| sfinn@thecore.com                Internet Web Services & Access  |
| VOICE: (732)928-7400             P.O. Box 106                    |
|   FAX: (732)928-7402             Jackson, NJ 08527-0106          |