Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:15:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@scientech.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, Ari Suutari <ari@suutari.iki.fi>
Subject:   Re: libalias: Incremental Update of Internet Checksum

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
> But the checksum is supposed to be the one's complement of the checksum
> of the payload (which is computed using one's complement arithmetic).  If
> you compute a checksum, and the value is zero, you insert the complemented
> value (0xffff) into the packet.
>
> louie

A 1's complement sum of the payload can never be 0x0000 if any
components the payload are non-zero.  Therefore a checksum  of
0xffff is not possible, since at least the word containing the
IP protocol byte is non zero.  This is explained in RFC 1624.

I think that Ruslan has done his homework on this subject, and
there is really no point to dispute the matter further.

Charles Mott