Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 1996 16:06:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

Brian Tao wrote:

[Regarding QPOP not having permissions to create lock files]
>     An alternative would be to modify your newuser procedure to touch
> and chown a .pop lock file for the user and configure your POP server
> not to remove those files when the user exits.

This is what I do currently; it feels like such a bad hack.

> From the qpopper 2.2 install notes:
>
> h) KEEP_TEMP_DROP - Keep the .user.pop file around.  It can be
>                 used to determine when the last time a user has
>                 accessed their mail.

Actually, this is not needed. The same set of permissions which
prevents QPOP from creating the .user.pop file also prevents it
from removing the lock file. =-)

Off topic, I keep getting these syslog messages from QPOP:

   popper[20737]: @remote-host: -ERR POP EOF received

Any ideas why this might be happening ? I'm sure I'm not the only
one seeing many of these. It seems like a chronic problem on the
client side.

Regards,

-Ade
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;