Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 14:32:12 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        'Peter' <fbsdq@yahoo.com>, "'bblack@allstor-sw.co.uk'" <bblack@allstor-sw.co.uk>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD - Windows '98 performance

Both:
Send output from an ifconfig command to the list as well as details of the
network: it will help others to help you.

Ben:
Try turning oplocks off in Samba on the FreeBSD box. Windows 95 handles
oplocks very badly and I believe (although I don't know for sure) that
Windows 98 has the same problem. FreeBSD does kernel oplocks, whereas Linux
does not, so that explains the speed difference there, while Windows NT
handles oplocks fairly well. I may be wrong on this, but it seems like
that's what the problem is.
Also, try an ftp transfer from the M$ boxes to/from the FreeBSD box and see
if you get the same behaviour. That will help you determine whether it's
Samba or FreeBSD that's the problem.

-Bill