Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 1997 09:22:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Eli Lazich <elazich@loopback.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO 2.2.5

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Nate Williams wrote:

> > I have a 3com 3c589b ethernet card that appears to be recognized as zp0
> > but is not configurable if I run ifconfig -a.
>
> How do you know it's recognized?  It's possible that the configuration
> values stored in the card's EEPROM are different than what the FreeBSD
> driver expects.  The zp0 driver is not a 'PCMCIA/generic' driver, so it
> uses the card's own built-in configuratio (port, IRQ, IOMEM) values to
> configure the card, similar to a 'point driver' in DOS.
>
> > Under PAO-2.2.2 it was configured as ep0.
>
> The default FreeBSD boot floppy doesn't have generic PCCARD support in
> it.  You need to build a special kernel with PCCARD support (which will
> cause your ethernet driver to be ep0, like in PAO.)
>
> > I also have a Motorola Montana Modem that does not get
> > recognized at all.
>
> See above.  The boot floppy laptop drivers are zp0/ze0, and work with
> the 3Com 589 and IBM Info-mover cards respectively.  No other
> laptop/PCMCIA cards are supported on the boot floppy.
>

> Nate

OK, I understand all of this, now that prompts the question of how in
2.2.5 you build the kernel to support PCMCIA.  I found the GENERIC kernel
with the PCMCIA lines commented out, tried to build and got an error
because the generic (ze0/zp0) devices were still left in.  I then tried to
rebuild with those devices commented out to no avail.  I got an error
toward the end of the make on the new kernel referring to scsi drivers not
being configured (I'll have to try again to get the exact error messages).

OOnce I get the new kernel built, where do valid pccard.conf and
pccard_ether etc... files get created.

Eli