Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:38:24 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>, Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patch to have make clean not recurse in ${PORTSDIR}

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 01:56:40PM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 07:16:48PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Maxime Henrion wrote:
> >
> > > Currently, if you do a ``make clean'' in /usr/ports, it will recurse
> > > through each port's dependencies and clean them too.
> >
> > 	This has been discussed at great length on various lists. The two
> > answers to your question are, A) You can already do what you want to do,
> > with an option that allows you NOT to do it if for some reason you
> > actually WANT to repetitively clean dependencies, and B) The fastest way
> > to clean up your ports tree is not to use make at all, it's:

The problem here is that the makefiles for "make clean" don't
differentiate between a make in a directory with a port (i.e.
ports/mail/mutt) and a make in a directory with ports (i.e.
ports/mail). The behaviour for these two "make clean"s should be
different:

In a port-directory: make clean should run normally and check if
NOCLEANDEPENDS is in /etc/make.conf.

In a ports-directory: make clean should jump in all subdirectories
and run make clean there with NOCLEANDEPENDS=yes

In the past I've made a patch for it, ports/31113(*).

To all the people who say "yeah, but you can work around it with
NOCLEANDEPENDS=yes": Currently you have a problem which comes because
there is no difference in operations for "make clean" between a
port- and a ports-directory. This is wrong and inconstitent behaviour
if you compare if with the rest of the make-targets.
If this problem isn't going to be attacked (and I've already submitted
the patches for it half a year ago), this problem will keep coming
back and the same discussion will keep coming up every half year.

ports/31113 is still "Status: open". Please portmgr, do something
with it :-)

Edwin

(*) http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=31113

--