Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 21:46:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_base-7.1 install problems

Moved from -questions.  Please CC me directly, as I am not subscribed to
-ports.

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, David Banning wrote:

> > file /usr/bin/catchsegv from install of glibc-common-2.2.2-10 conflicts
> > with file from package glibc-2.1.2-11
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > There are hundreds/thousands of "file _____ from install of
> > glibc-common-2.2.2-10 conflicts with file from pkackage glibc_2.1.2-11"
> > lines.
> >
> > Could something be left over from when I pkg_delete'd linux_base-6?  If
> > so, what?
>
> My guess is that some package that you installed previously installed
> glibc-2.1.2-11 with it. Deleting the previous version of linux would
> therefore only delete the libc from the previous version, not a libc
> obtained from a previous source.
>
> > catchsegv" does not return anything.  "locate catchsegv" says that
> > catchsegv is in /usr/compat/linux/usr/bin/catchsegv, but it's not, which
> > leaves me utterly confused.
>
> Your locate database is previous the deletion of your linux lib package.
> update your locate database.

I just tried that, which has caused all the /usr/compat/linux entries to
disappear.  However, that didn't fix my problem yet.

I eventually figured that the rpm command is checking it's own database
for a list of currenty installed packages.  That would explain why it's
complaining that installing RPM's for linux_base-7 is going to cause a
conflict.

Running "rpm --root /usr/compat/linux -q -a" gave me about 33 packages
that it thinks are installed.  I started to try and figure out how to
"update" this database, but instead decided it is easier to run "rm -R
/usr/compat/linux/*" :)

It might be important to note that pkg_delet'ing linux_base-6 didn't seem
to delete the entire /usr/compat/linux direcrory.   Then again, it doesn't
seem like a good idea to just blindly nuke the whole /usr/compat/linux
directory?  On another hand, if we're deleting the linux_base then maybe
we should just trash it all?  Either way, I would think it should atleast
update the packages.rpm database, correct?

However, now I have a new problem:

[root@erp:/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base]# make install
===>  Installing for linux_base-7.1
kern.fallback_elf_brand: 3 -> 3
glibc-common-2.2.2-10.i386.rpm
redhat-release-7.1-1.noarch.rpm
setup-2.4.7-1.noarch.rpm
filesystem-2.0.7-1.noarch.rpm
basesystem-7.0-2.noarch.rpm
glibc-2.2.2-10.i386.rpm
execution of glibc-2.2.2-10 script failed, exit status 0
*** Error code 1

I think something is wrong here, aside from the port being marked
forbidden (which I've commented out of the Makefile).  linux_base-6 also
emits a "script failed, exit status 0" error, except that it does this
while installing bash.  .core files are produced by the failures.

I found somthing in the archives where a person had the same problem and
ran "make -k install", deinstalled, then re-installed.  This hasn't fixed
anything though.

Has anyone else had these problems?  Does anyone that is more familiar
with these things care to comment?  Where should I go from here?  In the
meantime, I am going to download the package for linux_base-7 and see what
happens.