Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 21:58:28 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ncftp2 and symbolic links to directories?

Hello.
First, I would like to thank the many responses regarding a question I
posted yesterday about the best way to transfer a large website from one
server to another.
Someone directed me to the NCFTP2 program which can be found in the
freeBSD ports collection.  I was impressed with the program, and it was
doing everything I needed to be done.  However, I ran into something
that I had never seen this behavior with the original old ftp client.
NCFTP2 ignores any symbolic link.  For example, this clients home
directory on his server is: /home/user, their web site is contained in a
subdirectory called /home/user/www.  However, the www directory is
actually a symbolic link to the actual directory /home/www/user.  I know
that I could just follow the link and begin a new transfer, but the
original ftp client didn't care if there was a symbolic link or not, it
just went ahead and changed to the directory that was being linked to,
and continued along its' way.
Has anyone had any experiences with ncftp2, getting it to see symbolic
links as directories if they should be considered directories?

Thanks.
Jeremy