Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:06:19 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Cliff Sarginson" <cliff@raggedclown.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Who has been pissing Tucows off ?

Twocowpies is lying with their public reasoning
about arguments between the BSD groups.  They don't want to
reveal the truth.

What the truth simply is, is that twocowpies gets their money
from ad revenue for banner ads.  They know how much money
it costs to field download resources, ie: disk space, CPU
space, network bandwidth.  They pay for this with banner
hits - not banner click-throughs mind you, but hits.

Looking at Windows download software, you have a very
favorable business setup.  You have lots of itty-bitty
files that lots of people are going to.  Furthermore, people
don't tend to get onto twocowpies and suck the entire
Windows directory down, they get files by onesie-twosie
thus giving optimal hit counts to the banner ads.

The Linux group is a lot like this too - the general userbase
in Linux is of a lower sophistication level, much more of
Linux is all about GUIifying everything so the common monkey
can use it, and while that crowd isn't as easily-led as the
Windows crowd, they are more like Windows users then they are
like BSD users.

With BSD software, on the other hand, your talking about giant
files that people tend to get up and snarf the entire lot.
Worse, once the initial giant files are snarfed, further
access, often done by the ports manager, is totally automated.
Thus, you get minimal exposure to banner ads for a far, far,
larger and more resource-consumptive download, then once you
give the people that, your never going to get a banner hit
from them again, because they are going to be using FTP
or wget.

The crowning straw that broke the proverbial camels back, of course,
is that the FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD groups all want SEPARATE
DOWNLOAD AREAS, thus instead of ONE file that will suffice for all THREE
groups, you have to have THREE SEPARATE FILES, tripling your disk space
requirements.

SO, what obviously happened is that twocowpies went into this like a
totally green newbie - they obviously heard from someone how the
ftp.freebsd.org site gets millions of bytes downloaded, they figured they
would impress their business model on the BSD community, and when
they attempted to do it, the BSD community basically said "you do it
our way or don't do it at all, and our way doesen't involve you dumping a
bunch of advertising down our throats"

So, naturally in the absense of a revenue stream, they decided to
step out of the cowpie they had gotten themselves into, and instead
of doing the honorable thing and admitting they were a bunch of
dumbasses that didn't understand Real Computing, in a fit of pique they
made up a giant poke of baloney about a nonexistent fight between
BSD groups.

So much for twocowpies, they have really shown their true colors here.