Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:09:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        Matt Loschert <loschert@servint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions source-upgrading 3.4-s to 4.0-s

>From loschert@servint.com  Sat Mar 25 00:14:38 2000
>Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 00:11:44 -0500 (EST)
>Subject: Re: Questions source-upgrading 3.4-s to 4.0-s
>
>On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> So buildworld runs in its "own complete isolated" environment?
>> IOW, buildworld uses its "own" tools, etc., & doesn't need ie.
>> /bin, /usr/bin ...  ??  (Except for a few basic things, like the
>> compiler (with which to "bootstrap" itself?"...  :)
>
>Exactly.  The only time there are snags is when an install or
>building tool is not included in the world building tool chain.
>AFAIK, this is the reason for the installworld -DNOINFO hack.
>install-info is not part of the build chain, but the install
>relies upon it (and in the case of the 3.x->4.0 upgrade, it
>relies on a new feature for the version not yet installed on the
>system).  I could be mistaken on this point, but this is how I
>interpreted the discussion on -current.

Hmmm...  Ok...

>> >cvs-crypto
>>
>> UPDATING says "Crypto & secure are now required."  That, as I
>> understand would be src-crypto and src-secure.  How would these
>> differ from cvs-crypto?  Ie. would it be "better" to use those 2
>> "tags" or to use the one cvs-crypto?  I suppose what I may be
>> asking is "how do I make my new system look most like the
>> distributed CDs?"
>
>As mentioned in another reply, cvs-crypto is simply a crypto
>catch-all tag.  I prefer it because I want all crypto and thus I
>see it as cleaner.  It's just personal preference though.

Okay, here are the crypto tags "as I understand" so far (someone
please update/correct this):

cvs-crypto	"catch-all;" includes all the following 3

src-crypto	Userland stuff?

src-secure	Userland different stuff?  :)

src-sys-crypto	Kernel crypto?  Required for IPv6?

I would guess that the reason(s) that "Crypto & secure are now
required" would be to support IPv6 (src-sys-crupto, not needed
if you're not configuring IPv6) & to support the "new" OpenSSH
(what tags for that?).

I would also guess that now that OpenSSH has been "merged" (?)
into the main source tree, it will install someplace besides
/usr/local/* (where SSH1/2 both happen to be)?

So now, what is the "status" of the "export restricted" stuff,
wrt with the recent changes in export controls?  I guess what I
may be asking is the following:

1.  What was (& now is) export restricted to start with?
2.  What was (& now is) different about what you get if you use
    the "international" cvsup site?  (using the
    secure-stable-supfile as an example; apparently it only
    fetches crypto)

>> >If you want the latest ports collection and documentation, specify:
>> >ports-all tag=.
>> >doc-all   tag=.
>>
>> I do that with a separate cvsup file/job...
>
>Why?  Cvsup ports and docs more or less often?  I just lump them

Yup.  Somewhat because of speed/reliablilty problems with my
connection(s), it is "easier" for me to update my system in
"smaller" pieces...

>all into my sup-file, along with src-all and cvs-crypto for
>RELENG_3, RELENG_4, and -CURRENT, all going into different
>directories.  That way I can read through the source changes to
>all of the active branches, or upgrade/downgrade any way I want.

Hmmm, interesting...

[...]
>> >cd /usr/src/sbin/mknod && make install
>>
>> Along the lines of "dotting all the "i"s & "crossong all the
>> "t"s", I believe it would be a Good Idea to make this more
>> explicit in the instructions...  :)
>
>Warner Losh is the man in charge of the UPDATING file.  You
>might want to pass the suggestion along to him.

I hope he is already reading this thread?  :)

[...]
>> >For the upgrade, yes, install GENERIC.  Once you have rebooted
>> >after the upgrade, it is much safer to rebuild your custom kernel.
>>
>> So, substitute GENERIC for "YOUR_KERNEL_HERE?"
>
>GENERIC for the initial upgrade kernel, YOUR_KERNEL_HERE after
>upgrade complete.

After upgrading (& with 4.x) am I required to use those new make
targets or can I do it the Good Old-fashioned Way?  (cd
/sys/i386/conf; <edit config>; config <...>; cd
/sys/compile/...; make dep; make; make install)

>> I think it would be a Very Good Idea to get "appropriate
>> portions" of this information into the UPDATING instructions; it
>> might help slow down the upgrading-deluge "here" on -stable...  :)
>
>Again, send your suggestions to Warner Losh <imp@village.org>.
>He maintains the UPDATING file.

I hope he's reading...  :)

>Enjoy 4.0.

Thanks, I plan to.  :)  Speaking of which, will things like
XFree86 3.3.5 (as distributed with the 3.4 CD set) run ok with
4.x or must I recompile or upgrade it as well?

>- Matt

-kc