Date:      Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:54:12 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <auto245751@hushmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 4.2 Installation - Keyboard Problem + RANT

I think what your saying here is you have a large DIN connector keyboard
and the computer your installing to has a mini-DIN connector on it.  I
assume you have an adapter from large-to-small keyboard, right?

> Besides,
> I don't think it sounds right that I have to invest in a new
>keyboard just
>because FreeBSD 4.2, unlike every other fucking operating system (Windoze,
> Linux, OpenBSD, etc.), won't respond to my keyboard.

I can assure you from experience that it's _not_ every other operating
system
that doesen't have this problem with some hardware out there.  I've
personally
dealt with this problem on even plain old DOS when mixing-and-matching
keyboards,
and furthermore even the IBM OS/2 installation manual specifically states
that
certain motherboards will require keyboard bios upgrades to run OS/2, if
your
looking for something more canonical than just FreeBSD PR's.

>And knowing my luck,
>the new keyboard will fail to fix the problem. My current keyboard works
>fine up until FreeBSD takes over and gives me the three choices at
>the "kernel
>configuration" screen. Then my keyboard stops working. WTF?

I can tell you the problem but I can't tell you how to fix the code.  The
problem
is that FreeBSD doesen't use BIOS for talking to the keyboard, it loads a
device driver that speaks to the keyboard controller chip on the motherboard
directly.  Your motherboard/keyboard controller/keyboard combination is thus
running under "different" code when you just boot DOS or are still on the
BIOS's POST.

I've ALSO seen this problem on ONE other instance - setting incorrect
voltage
or clocking speed on the CPU.  If the CPU is using the wrong clock
multiplier
or clock then it can make the keyboard not talk to the motherboard under
different operating systems.

In your case it's a "difference of opinion" between the hardware you have
and the keyboard device driver's idea of how to interface with the keyboard
controller chip/keyboard combination.  I wouldn't go so far as to call it a
bug,
but I recognize that it's a problem for a few installations.

>Just run a search through http://groups.google.com and see how many other
>people are encountering this same problem. I noticed someone wrote a PR
>for this too. They, like I, are receiving a blind eye from the so-called
>"freebsd community".

A developer cannot fix what they don't have in front of them - it's been
years
since I've seen this problem myself and obviously the keyboard driver author
has never seen it.  I'm sure you have better things to do than pack up your
system and freight it off to the developer.   I find it hard to believe that
you don't have a friend with a computer that you can't swap the keyboard
with just for testing, or couldn't you take the keyboard to work and swap
it with a system there?  It's only a keyboard for goodness sake.  Any
network
server farm that uses keyboard switches has boxes of the things collecting
dust.

>A suggested fix was to disable 0x1 in the flags for atkbd. Could
>the genius
>who came up with this solution please explain HOW TO DO THIS DURING THE
>__INSTALLATION__.

Obviously you can't.  Normally, when booting the install asks if you want to
make changes, you would select yes, then in the visual configurator select
Input, then Keyboard, then tab to the flags and change it there.  But if
your keyboard is
dead then you can't do this.

>For fuck's sake... you'd think this problem would be resolved by now.

Just to be nice because your obviously upset I went and reviewed the
keyboard
PR's and there _has_ been work done on this.  But, understand that the 0x1
option
was stuck in there to fix a problem people were complaining about - it
apparently
fixed the problem then caused problems for others.  There's also a mention
that
increasing the probe length fixed at least one person's problem.  See PR
i386/17391

The 0x1 flag thing was put in there after FreeBSD 4.0.  One enterprising
user
installed 4.0, then upgraded to a later version and recompiled the OS.  See
PR  i386/20495

Just to see if it would help you, I have put up the boot images for the
floppies
for 4.0 here:

http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com/software/KERN.FLP
http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com/software/MFSROOT.FLP

Make them and see if you can boot into the installer and move about in it.
If so, then submit a followup to PR  i386/20495 and one to PR i386/17391
and let us know.  If you ask nice someone can probably make a boot floppy
for you with the 0x1 option shut off.