Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 11:22:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, mike@smith.net.au, lrios@ziplink.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free BSD and Windows

According to Mike Smith:
> > > MS-DOS does not support being booted from anything other than BIOS disk
> > > 0x80 (the first disk in the system).
> >
> > It will (should) work if BootEasy sets DX to the number of the drive
> > DOS is being booted from (0x81 in this case). I wrote an OS loader
> > once which could boot DOS from arbitrary drives, I'll see if I can dig
> > up the code. Modifying the DOS boot sector should not be necessary.
>
> I've done this before.  8)
>
> Unless Microsoft changed their sector-0 bootloader (which is possible),
> it still has 0x80 hardcoded.  The symptoms would tend to indicate that
> they haven't - FreeBSD boots correctly from the second drive using the
> value in %dx, but Windows does not.

	I've been meaning to ask the entire group the following
	questions(s) about OS bootloaders, since it seems that
	FBSD lacks a very powerful one.  How hard would it be
	for someone who understands this problem to write a loader
	that would be powerful and configurable?

	It probably requires an in-depth understanding of how PC's
	work with DOS; how the BIOS talks to the disk(s).  Writing
	a loader that worked with any PC-Unix would be a major win.

	After 5 weeks of trying to dual-boot FBSD and Debian, I
	gave up.   Shouldn't be this hard, but is.

	gary kline