Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 15:45:12 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jud <jud@operamail.com>
Cc:        jcborkow@tcpns.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from RAID? (was Re: Using VINUM to do RAID-1 disk mirroring)

One line per paragraph.

On Wednesday, 13 March 2002 at 11:28:37 +0800, Jud  wrote:
 On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 10:19:54 +1030, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> [snip]
>> Vinum doesn't currently support root, so yes, you'll need a separate
>> boot drive with the root file system.
>>
>> Greg
>
> I'm about to set up two ATA-100 hard drives as a RAID-0 array.  An
> ATA-66 drive will remain in the system.  I'd prefer booting from
> whichever was fastest, and assume this would be the RAID array.

There's hardly any difference in speed at boot time.  RAID can be
faster because there's more scope for concurrent accesses, but this
doesn't happen much at boot time.

> Is there a disadvantage/impediment to booting from a RAID array
> (other than possible loss of data - there's nothing on any of these
> drives I can't afford to lose, so it would be a PITA but not a
> disaster),

No.

> or is there a different reason why Vinum doesn't support root?

Yes.  It's a chicken and egg problem.  Basically, Vinum reads device
nodes from the /dev file system. and it's not there at that time.
Also, the loader doesn't understand Vinum.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.