Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 16:52:26 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHC: "cheksum error" reading SEEPROM with Iwill PIILS mb

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> > When the AHC driver tries to read the 7880's SEEPROM, the operation
> > fails with a "cheksum error".
>
> This is because your system does not have a serial eeprom attached
> the the aic7880.  The only way the driver can determine this is
> by attempting to read it and to perform a checksum comparison.  If
> a serial eeprom is not found, the driver is smart enough to pull the
> "left over BIOS settings" off the chip and use them.

Please accept my apologies for my ignorance about this question.
I have other two systems (Dell Poweredges) with embedded 7880
controllers and the SEEPROM is read without problems on them.
I saw that "checksum error" for the first time when I installed
FreeBSD on the new Iwill-based system. I was convinced that the
SEEPROM was included in the 7880 chip.

What's the utility of the SEEPROM? If my Iwill PIILS mb has no
SEEPROM, could this affect to the behavior of the AHC driver and
consequently to the overall performance of SCSI?

Thanks,
-- JM
Jose M. Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del Pais Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electronica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-944647700 x2624
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139