Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2007 02:12:32 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reporting problems with Firefox (?)

--=-JIudU1lvylNRDjWoV7ye

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 12:14 -0700, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>=20
> Is this address (gnome@FreeBSD.org) the proper place to send bug/problem
> reports regarding Firefox?  If not, could you please direct me to the
> Right Place to do this?
>=20
> Problem(s) summary:
>=20
> I've just upgraded my main work/desktop system from (ancient) FreeBSD 4.1=
1
> to 6.2-RELEASE, and thus, switched from some ancient rev of Mozilla to
> Firefox, and I'm having some really serious problems with it.

I hope you rebuilt all of your ports when you did this.

>=20
> In particular, it locks up (and pegs CPU usage to 100%) each time I eithe=
> (a) try to download a file, to disk, from any web site or (b) try to
> switch back and forth a few times between the cute icons at the top of
> the little pop-up window that comes up when one tries to adjust "Preferen=
ces".

I don't see this here.  You should follow the steps listed at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/bugging.html to get a backtrace from
the running process when it pegs the CPU.

>=20
> (Also, with Mozilla, I found that I could use Cntl-K to delete the part o=
> any text line to the right of the current cursor position, i.e. within an=
> text entry area on any wab page.  But now that seems to no longer work.
> Is that a X11 issue?  Or is it a Fixefox issue?)

This is a GTK+ issue.  See
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q25 .

>=20
> Last question:  Is Firefox being built ``native'' for FreeBSD?  Or is it
> being built for Linux and then run under the compatability mode?  If the
> former, then where may I download the latest and greatest FreeBSD-compati=
ble
> FireFox sources?  (The problems above are sufficiently annoying to me tha=
> I might actually take a whack and building and debugging Fixefox myself.)

It depends on the port you installed.  www/firefox is a native FreeBSD
application.  The www/linux-firefox port is the Linux binary.

Joe

--=20

--=-JIudU1lvylNRDjWoV7ye

--=-JIudU1lvylNRDjWoV7ye--