Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:32:29 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        ian@gamespot.com (Ian Kallen)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dead disk

As Ian Kallen wrote:

> Aug 18 04:34:59 scorn /kernel: sd3(ahc0:3:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:0x50033
> csi:1,79,7,3b asc:16,0 Data synchronization mark error
> field replaceable unit: 15

> So is all hope lost for this disk?

Did you turn on automatic error recovery?  It's on mode page 1 (see
scsi(8)).

If you turn it on right now, you can't fix the old errors unless you
overwrite the bad block (0x50033, block number from the beginning of
the device).

If this doesn't help either, you can still try backing it up.  I think
dump(8) is fairly forgiving if a medium has a few bad spots only.
Also, problems of this kind are often temperature-related, so cooling
the drive down could get you at least the desired backup.

--
cheers, J"org