Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 20:09:08 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UPSD Locks up my system, please help!

Hi,

/dev/cuaa0 is the com port in this case the equivalent of com1 and /dev/cuaa1
is com2. It shouldn't lock you box like that. Did you install a pre-compiled
package or did you compile it using the ports?

Check the permissions. ls -l /dev/cuaa* On my 4.1-STABLE box,

crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 128 Jul 31 22:57 /dev/cuaa0
crw-rw----  1 uucp  dialer   28, 129 Jul 31 22:57 /dev/cuaa1

This means that nobody else have access unless you're user name is uucp
or you belong to the dialer group. I'm not sure what this looks like on a 3.4 box.
Make sure on which com port the ups is connected and set the permissions so that
other have access to it as well. chmod o+rw /dev/cuaa0 if it is on com1 or
chmod o+rw /dev/cuaa1 if it is connected to com2. Also change the device
entry in the config file to the correct com port.

After all this it might still lock your box. Execute the sync command before
so that all the buffers are flushed to disk or boot into single user mode and
run it from there after mounting the relevant file systems.

"/dev/cuaa0" refers to com1 and /dev/cuaa1
On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:15:09AM -0600, Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:

> Hi, I recently hooked up a UPS (APC Smart-UPS) to my FreeBSD (3.4) machine
> and installed upsd-2.0 from the ports collection on the CD ROM set.  After
> I installed it, I couldn't find any configuration documentation for it and
> looked at the upsd.conf file in /usr/local/etc and it looked like their
> wasn't much configuration needed and that the upsd.conf file was pretty
> much "ready to go".  Each time I tried to start the upsd daemon from
> /usr/local/sbin/./upsd, it completely locked my system up and I had to do a
> cold shutdown.  In the upsd.conf file, it has the following entry:
>
> device                   "/dev/cuaa0"
> speed                    2400
> read-timeout             2
> write-block-size              1
> write-block-delay        50
> queue-size               64
>
> Shouldn't I have an entry for /dev/cuaa0 in my /etc/fstab file?  There is a
> comm cable that goes from the back of the UPS to the comm port on the back
> of my PC.  Isn't this what /dev/cuaa0 is for?  Do I need to compile support
> for it in my kernel?  Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.  I
> don't want to crash my system again.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe

Best Regards
Willem Brown

--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

Death, when unnecessary, is a tragic thing.
		-- Flint, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5843.7