Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:28:03 +0200
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        Panagiotis Astithas <past@ebs.gr>
Cc:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fontsize and dpi (was Re: Beta2: Nice job!)

------------9D1F020627A88D68

On 2005-08-24 at 22:49:58 Panagiotis Astithas wrote:

> Yeah, it seems that GNOME is imitating Windows in this. On Windows XP I
> get 96 dpi hardcoded, but I can change it to 120 dpi or some custom=20
> value. Funny, even Microsoft faces this issue...

A lot of GUI "designers" simply assume fixed font sizes (i.e. in
pixels), to make layout of dialog boxes etc. much easier.  It's a lot
harder to make a fully resizable design, that also adopts to different
font sizes and/or styles.  So if you (like me) have a 22" monitor with
1920x1440 resolution, you end up with extremely tiny, almost
unreadable dialogs in most applications. :(

------------9D1F020627A88D68

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFDDinTsF6jCi4glqMRAm8qAKCjqgl+Mw4sWswjlL4WKBu3gIm/7gCg1GWx
5tmm1BiF6IHPsvVZpPj8W34=
=cTSA
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

------------9D1F020627A88D68--