Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 09:04:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        David Caldwell <dns@knology.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Certification

At Tue, 3 Jul 2001 it looks like Ted Mittelstaedt composed:

TM-->I'd like to start a discussion about this topic as I've been
TM-->pondering a few questions related to this myself.
TM-->
TM-->To start with it's been my observation that certifications are
TM-->desired for one of 3 general reasons:
TM-->
TM-->a) Employment: employers want people to have them to make it easier to weed
TM-->out
TM-->a flood of applicants, candidates want them to be able to apply for certain
TM-->jobs.
TM-->
TM-->b) Personal Pride: people want the certification so they can make their
TM-->pedegree
TM-->look bigger, have one more certificate on the wall, etc.
TM-->
TM-->c) Education: Students hope getting the certification will help them learn
TM-->about the thing they want to get certified on.
TM-->

I'd like to add another reason that actually had (made) me take
tests and get all the available (Linux LPI) certs, it was the
customers request for evidence that the people doing 24x7 server
support were qualified. The cost was refunded to me by the
company I currently work for.

I don't mention that I have certs unless asked, I do have a small
line on my resume that states something to the effect of "certs
upon request"

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076                 -o)