Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 15:32:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
To:        Vincent Jardin <vjardin@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removal of netns

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Vincent Jardin wrote:

> Why does it need to be removed ? According to me, it would be the same mistake
> as the removal of netiso and netccitt. I did not know FreeBSD at this time,
> but nowadays, in order to get an OS that supports many stacks, we have to use
> NetBSD.

If netns has so many users and our implementation has been broken for so
long, why is it there hasn't been hordes of complaints? It appears as if
users of netns are a rarity...

> BSD4.4 was designed in order to support many stacks, FreeBSD 6, 7 ou 9 will
> support only IPv4 and IPv6, won't they ?

Today, widely-used networking applications use IPv4 and/or IPv6. It's
understandable that as such, our IP stacks have gotten more testing and
tuning than any other.

If there's another networking protocol out there that has enough users
interested and enough developer, vendor or device support, I don't see why
it wouldn't be incorporated into the FreeBSD tree. A good example of a
stack that was recently imported (comparatively speaking) would be
Bluetooth.

> I do not think that it needs to be removed. One should try to keep this
> feature.

As always, patches are welcome. If you happen to need netns for anything,
scratch the itch... :-)

Regards,