Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 19:43:23 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>, "Dirk Froemberg" <dirk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Vincent Poy" <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>, "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>, <ache@FreeBSD.ORG>, <rse@engelschall.com>, <adam@algroup.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: ports/15873: New Apache_fp+php+mod_ssl-1.3.9+3.0.12+2.4.8 port.

> > So what do you think?
> >

> I have talked to Dirk and agree with him that we need to organize and
> consolidate
> the apache* ports.  I would be willing to work on it, with the permission
from
> the
> other maintainers of course.  I believe that 2 apache ports should be made
as
> follows:
>     - apache13-nonexport
>     -apache13-export
> I could fairly easily integrate a configure script which would allow a
user to
> have the choice of what they wanted to use, including but not limited to,
> mod_ssl,
> mod_perl, mod_dav, mod_frontpage, php3, php4, imap, xml, dbase, GD,
FreeType,
> mcrypt, mhash, MySQL, mSQL, pdflib, OpenLDAP, zlib, PostgreSQL, and snmp.
> think
> that these 2 ports would allow everyone to have what they want and/or need
yet
> standardizing the apache ports and making everything a lot simpler.  None
of the
> current ports other then the one I submitted (PR ports/15873) have
anything
> close
> to what I personally need.  I believe that if we want to give the users
the best
> choice and let them decide, then we either need to work together and build
these
> 2
> ports or some of the maintainers need to step down and let Dirk, Scot, or
I go
> work.  Another option is to let a couple of the maintainers work on one
and a
> couple others work on the other.  Any feedback?

This sounds like a great way to approach it. Just a question, is the
distinction
between "export" and "nonexport" only for encryption reasons. If it is, is
it possible to use the "USA_RESIDENT" variable to select the correct setting
and hence have only *ONE* apache port ?

I know I am pushing it, but if there are existing mechanism, let's use them.

Patrick.