Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 1995 12:09:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@warlock.win.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   re: Large Internet sites using FreeBSD

>From: jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond)

>Does anyone know large Internet-sites running FreeBSD as OS. I would like to
>use FreeBSD for 40-50 call-in-accounts. A 2Mbit line to provide a WWW- and
>FTP-server E-mail for approx. 500 users etc..

We are an ISP that had been using Interactive Unix and Solaris machines.  In
November I started migrating everything to FreeBSD/Pentium boxes.  I only have
on Interactive Unix box left - soon it will go too.

Things seem to be working out just fine.  A lot better than I'd expected
frankly.  We have a *bunch* of uucp and a modest but growing ppp.

There are problems in the 2.0-RELEASE cd that you need to get some patches
for.  I recommend setting up one machine using the latest SNAP and another
box that is "sup-ing" the latest sources.

That way you can check out bugs on the "current" machine and compare the
behavior to the prior SNAP.

>                                                     Does anyone know if
>there is hardware (like a DigiBoard) to connect multiple modems to one
>machine.

We use an "annex-3" terminal server as the front end for our service.  A
T1's worth of modem lines plus a handfull of local lines come into the
annex.  I've hacked the annex security server so that it can recognize
if you are a ppp or a uucp incoming call.  Very soon another T1 of modem
lines will be here (sigh).

If you are uucp you get automatically "rlogin'ed" to the uucp server, if
you are PPP you just get routed out the cisco through the other T1.  This
way the FreeBSD box does not have the load of the PPP traffic (other than
nnrp).  FreeBSD does have a native PPP now, but I decided not to use it
for performance reasons.  You will also find a large performance problem
as you add more serial interrupts to one box.

We make heavy use of sendmail, name service, and inn.  Partition your disk
with a bunch of swap space.  I use 128Mb swap.  Rebuild your kernel with
MAX_USERS raised above 10.  Inspect your network parameters with
netstat - pump up any other parameters.  If you do what I do with a
terminal server front end you will need to increase npty's.  More inodes
on your news partition than default, ect.

The generic kernel's target environment is for a smaller setup.

I don't recommend using a serial board or serial driver inside the P90.

Good Luck,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net