Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:55:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Fernando Matzdorf <xfernando84x@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing Apache 2.0

Help!!
I recently downloaded version 2.0 of the Apache server from their website, and I tried to install it to my system using pkg_add but was unsuccessful (maybe it's not a package but I can't tell). I downloaded it on a Windows XP computer, burned it to a cd, then tried to install it on my FreeBSD computer, because configuring my WinModem on FreeBSD is practically impossible. The file I downloaded is named httpd-2.0.52.tar.gz. I unzipped it, so it was now named httpd-2.0.52.tar, and tried the same thing, but didn't succeed again. I read somewhere that you have to run these commands:

# cd (to the directory with the source code)
# ./configure
# make
# make install
# make clean

so I burned all the files to the CD instead, but when I try the first command the terminal says the command is not recognized. I don't know what to do anymore. If I sound like a real newbie it's because I am (I've been using FreeBSD for less than a month), so any help whatsoever would be appreciated, and feel free to point out all of the things that would seem obvious to you because I'm compltely clueless.

Thank you very much!!

Sincerely,
Fernando