Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:02:51 -0500
From:      grafe@omega.ie.pitt.edu (Gary E. Rafe)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Q: pine/netscape hang in "poll" state on 3.5.1-PAO system ?

Our old Toshiba Satellite 220 (133MHz, 64MB)
has been very stable since we first put FreeBSD on it
back in '97 (lately running 3.5.1-PAO).

Sometime in the last month or so, we're noticing that some apps
(e.g, pine [v4.33 native build], Netscape Navigator [linux-2.0-libc5])
have begun to hang in a "poll" state for 55-115 seconds
before actually starting.
Others (e.g., ssh) behave normally.

I don't believe anything significant has changed in the system's
configuration that might account for this condition
(e.g., upgrades or packages installed),
although inadvertant changes to configuration files cannot be ruled out!

A search of the Mail Archives (freebsd-questions) reveals
a query from Chen Xu on this very same condition back in December 1999.
No reply, however, seems to be recorded in the archive.

Any pointers to resolving this condition will be appreciated !
--
Gary E. Rafe
gerst4+@pitt.edu