Date:      Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:41:12 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Jeays <jeays@statcan.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: somewhat new to java questions

> The amount of code you need to write to do almost anything
> in terms of a GUI implementation in Java seems to be
> much larger and harder to write and understand than in
> TK/TCL.

Beaty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

> This example of a MessageBox seems quite intimidating!

Not with Swing.  With Swing, it's trivial.  But, this only works easily
in applications, not applets.

> Furthermore, the performance seems much worse, seen from
> my perspective of FreeBSD, Java 1.1 and Swing compared with
> TK/TCL 8.0.

Of this there is little doubt.  Java performs very poorly on FreeBSD due
to the lack of JIT.  Even though TCL is an interpreted language, the
interpreter is much faster.

> And inter-platform compatibility, at least between Unix and
> Windows, seems about equivalent.

I can't speak to that since I've never used the Windows version of
TCL/TK.

Nate