Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 22:56:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange popper behavior

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:

> There was absolutely nothing wrong with the mailbox, it just refused
> to work with the password, which was alphabetic, for the account.
> Change "T" to "t" and it worked fine.

Slow down a minute!  When you say you changed a "T" to a "t", are you
saying the username had a capital letter in it or the password?
Having a username with uppercase letters will not normally work if
you are using sendmail as the transport because sendmail maps the
usernames to lower case before attempting local delivery.  Now I
haven't played with the internals of sendmail in a while, but I do
not advise anyone to create usernames that have mixed upper and lower
case.  I wouldn't be surprised if other mail transport systems had
the same restrictions.

--
David H. Brierley
    dave@galaxia.com