Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 2015 15:07:25 -0500
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Subject:   Re: traffic shaping on RELENG_10 ?

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 14:36:22 -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> On 12/17/2015 2:24 PM, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > It took me a while to get ALTQ working.  More below..
>
> Thank you very much for the detail!  Are you running any patches ? I
> seem to recall over the years the pfsense folks with patches to pf to
> get it to play well.  However, I dont know if thats relevant to
> RELENG_10 or not.

No patches, just stable/10.

> I wonder if there is a similar issue with the re driver and altq. I
> tried to get it to work on the old zoo and never once was able to shape
> a packet :(

I'm not sure.  It uses if_start, not if_transmit, so in theory it would
work.

> In my case, I just want to prevent a process from eating up bandwidth by
> accident so dummynet does the trick just fine.  I am going to try this
> new box with em nics and see if I can get altq to work.  It would be
> nice if its in one config file and I dont have to have multiple firewall
> systems.

The em(4) driver does work for ALTQ.  And I'm sure ALTQ will work fine
with pf.

We (and by that I mean someone other than me) should fix things so that
it is easy to use ALTQ with a multi-queue NIC.  i.e. an easy to follow
netgraph recipe that will setup ng_iface on top of your NIC and use ALTQ
on that.  Or another solution would be to modify ALTQ so that it'll work
with NICs that use if_transmit one way or another.

> Just curious, since you had altq working, why did you not want to just
> use pf for your firewall rules and natting ?

Inertia.  I've had the same basic firewall setup for a long time, and
didn't want to figure out the right way to re-write it in pf.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@FreeBSD.ORG