Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:45:54 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying debug-kernel config messages

>   I am getting wholely sick of this blasted config message.   If you are
>   going to print the message, print it once and be done with it.  Not
>   every time I config!  I'd get rid of the message entirely, in fact.
>
>   Also, if you guys insist of making 'make' generate a debug kernel called
>   'kernel.debug' by default, at LEAST objcopy it to 'kernel' to generate
>   the non-debug version during the main 'make' procedure rather then
>   during the 'make install' procedure.  Not all of us use make install to
>   install new kernels.
>
>   I've gone from having to cp/strip to having to objcopy.  My life is not
>   made easier.
>
>   I don't mind generating both a debug and non-debug kernel by default.  But
>   it must be done in the correct fashion.

   I agree with Matt. Actually I really don't like the idea of building a
debug kernel by default and would really prefer that we not do that.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com