Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:12:14 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dmesg date/timestamps

> > > Apparently there are places that log via dmesg instead of via syslog.
> >
> > No.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something.  I know that the messages I get via nfs_msg
> in nfs_socket.c I haven't been seeing in my syslogs, and when they show up
> in the dmesg output they are not timestamped.
>
> Somebody was commenting on the same thing happening to certain SCSI
> diagnostic messages.  I've noticed this, too.
>
> Perhaps my log levels need to be adjusted.

No.  nfs_msg() tries to write to the controlling terminal of the
process related to the I/O it's talking about.  It's not trying to log
anything, so of course it doesn't get logged.

> > > The primary intention here is to have the messages that are in the dmesg
> > > output have timestamps.
> >
> > No.
>
> Why?

Because it's unnecessary; you have the timestamps in the system
logfiles if you need them, otherwise they are just a space-wasting
nuisance.  Computing any time other than seconds-from-epoch in the
kernel is _wrong_.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org