Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:24:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        randys@amigo.net
Cc:        marc@milestonerdl.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Rsync, ssh and using root.

On 10 Dez, Randy Smith wrote:

[NFS+IPSec+rsync]

> This avoids the problems with SSH and root access but may lead to other
> problems that I am not aware of. One good thing about this is that restoring
> to the other machine is reasonably easy. Remount boxa:/nfs/dir as read-write
> and then reverse the paths in the rsync command above.
>
> Others may be able to point out any problems/improvments that exist with this
> plan.

-> A lot of network traffic and a slower update if you didn't use
   --size-only (which may only a good idea in specific situations).
   The file on the remote box may need to go completely over the network
   in the worst case (if a checksum has to be calculated for the whole
   file, don't know how often this can happen).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
                ...Oh, wait a minute, he already does.