Date:      Mon, 07 Sep 1998 00:42:01 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dmesg Timecounter Varies

> >> Notice the maximum flyer.  What causes this variability?
> >
> >Unexpected execution discontinuities; most often SMI activity.  We are
> >going to have to discontinue our (ab)use of the TSC simply because it's
> >not reliable enough.  PC timekeeping *sucks*.
>
> Ahh, but mind you mike, this is >not< the TSC, this is the i8254 :-(

Sorry, I should have kept the two comments separate.

We can't use the TSC to improve our resolution on the 8254 (because the
8254 is not stable), as you've pointed out already.

Regrettably, none of the new platform standards being promulgated by
the Evil Empire seem to suggest any improved timekeeping facilities. 8(