Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        nate@sneezy.sri.com
Cc:        J_Shevland@TurnAround.com.au, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Daemonising a Java Process: Possible?

Nate Williams writes:
> > > We have a multi-threaded Java server process that we want to daemonise in
> > > the Unix fashion of the word; what's the easiest way to do this?
> ..
> > I've written a simple class + native code that does this. Lemme know
> > if you're interested in seeing it.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing it.  Do you handle spawning off the VM when
> connections come in like inetd does, etc..?

The stuff I wrote is basically Java wrappers around the corresponding
C calls.. there are probably more elegant ways to design it, but hey... :-)

My (limited) Java stuff is available at:

  ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/java/

The makefiles are useful in our development, especially for building
native code libraries. I'd be happy to donate if FreeBSD wanted to
include them in some form under /usr/share/mk.

I was also thinking that we might want to start building a basic
Java codebase for people who want to write applications in Java
on FreeBSD, eg.

  org.freebsd.util		- utility classes
  org.freebsd.net		- network related classes
  org.freebsd.admin		- classes for system administration
  org.freebsd.admin.user	- classes for configuring user accounts

??

I don't know what kind of demand there is out there for this
right now though.

FWIW,
-Archie