Date:      Thu, 23 May 2002 17:50:20 -0400
From:      Jim Zajkowski <jim@jimz.net>
To:        dave <dmehler@siscom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dump over ssh?

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:53:30PM -0400, dave wrote:

>     I've got a linux backup server to which i'd like to use dump to dump a
> few fbsd 4.5 boxes to it. I really don't want to use rsh, however when i try
> to use ssh i get an error that rcmd was unable to complete a socket and that
> login failed as the user.

I do this with a number of systems, so I have a collection of scripts to
handle it.

My solution is to have the backup box ssh to the box to be backed up
(using ssh public-key authentication), run a dump to standard out,
and collect the dump to tape with cstream.

Something like:

  backupbox# ssh target 'dump 0f - / | gzip -fast' | dd if=- of=/dev/nst0

I actually use cstream not dd, but the usage is similar.  cstream does
double-buffering for me, which I could do with a dd | dd, but this
is just easier.

The big problem I have is that all the dumps are being done in order,
rather than in parallel, so this doesn't work well if you have someone
else (eg administrative assistant) swapping the tapes -- my longest
backup set takes about 10 hours.

For some performance I have ssh configured to try blowfish before
3des or any other crypto, as blowfish is pretty quick.

Suprisingly enough, dump is the slowest part of this mess, not the
ssh (for my machines, anyway).

--Jim

--
Jim Zajkowski