Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:08:09 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2R pcm/sbc AWE records noise, not audio: 16 bit bug?; gus broken?

I have already apologized for my remarks and clarified my position,
but I'm foolishly going to respond to this personal attack.

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 09:15:49AM -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>   Please don't get bothered by idiotic comments like that.

Yes, calling me an idiot definately helps to improve the state of
FreeBSD's sound drivers.

> There are people in the world that you can give everything
> to, hell go set up the PC for them, and they are still going
> to be complaining.

That may be true, but it's completely irrelevant.  I don't remember
Cameron coming to my house to set up my PC.  With your little
metaphor, in fact, in fact, he is the guy who came by uninvited and
trashed my working PC.  (Which is why I dislike metaphors - I don't
feel this way at all and as I said in a previous message I am not
looking to bash or blame Cameron.)

> Besides that, people love complaining about the things they like -

That doesn't make any sense at all.  You are acting like my statement
that there are problems with the sound drivers is an opinion.  It's
not an opinion that I can't record audio.  It's not an opinion that it
plays static instead of music half the time.  I don't understand why
you're so threatened by a statement of fact.  If it worked correctly,
why would I complain?

> if this guy really and truly thought that the sound support sucked
> he wouldn't be using FreeBSD at all.

That is also nonsense.  Have you considered that not being able to
record audio is far outweighed by all of the things I CAN do with
FreeBSD?  Perhaps I have a substantial investment in learning to
configure, administer, and hack on FreeBSD?  What do you mean, if I
"really and truly thought" - again, I am not making this up.  Why
would I lie about the problems I'm having.  (And I'm not the only one
- my message was in reply to someone else HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.)

> His problem is that he just likes complaining.

You sure know a lot about me.  My problem is that two years ago, I
could record, and what I was hoping was just another temporary problem
went on for months and months.  I do not at all enjoy complaining.
Most of all, I enjoy not having anything to complain about.

>   For every one person out there complaining there are thousands,
> such as myself, who are perfectly satisfied with the sound
> support in FreeBSD

Because it works for you.  Or should I use your bizarro-world logic
and claim that you're just saying it works, and if you really and
truly thought that it worked, you would be complaining too.

> View comments like his as a compliment

I tried to respond to that, but I couldn't avoid the use of sarcasm.

> he obviously has come to use FreeBSD so much that he considers it no
> different than "commercial" software

You don't understand the categories of software.  But that aside, if
you knew anything about me at all, you'd realize that you could not be
more wrong with that stupid remark.

> of which people take complaining about to a high art form.

You give me too much credit for a couple of sentences I hardly put any
effort (or thought) into.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/