Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:43:07 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom_label and directories under /dev

Jaakko Heinonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was working to fix problems with GEOM label class allowing some
> problematic label names which can't represent proper files under /dev.
> For example:
>
> - empty label
> - "." and ".."
> - labels starting or ending with '/'
> - labels ending with /.. (Due to a bug for example /..foo/.. is
>   allowed.)

Also, encoding needs to be adjusted in some cases (e.g. NTFS, FAT32?).
The only sane choices are 7-bit ASCII or UTF-8. Also, kern.geom.confxml
needs to escape or strip XML-special characters...

> Then I noticed that directories are also problematic. Here's how to
> panic your system:
>
> # glabel create ab ad0
> # glabel create ab/cd ad0
> # ls -l /dev/label
>
> I was going to suggest disallowing of '/' in labels but in past such
> change has been reverted.

> r149339 | pjd | 2005-08-20 20:05:47 +0300 (Sat, 20 Aug 2005) | 5 lines
>
> Back-out the change from revision 1.14 and allow for '/' in labels
> again.
>
> Convinced by:   green, Gavin Atkinson, dougb, gordon
> MFC after:      1 day

> So it's probably a dead end to try to suggest disallowing of '/'?
> Unfortunately it's not easy to fix all problems with directories. For
> starters devfs doesn't support removal of directories at all.

I have no idea why "/" would be allowed - it isn't in regular filenames
so why would this be special? I wote to remove slashes.