Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 01:40:32 -0000
From:      "Rev. Nostrebor N. Cire" <nospam@planethobby.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP over UDP configuration

I have built some tunnels using PPP over TCP and I would like to change them
to PPP over UDP to eliminate some overhead.  The man page explains PPP over
TCP very well.  When I change inetd.conf to listen on a udp port the
connection can not be established.  What does the line in inetd.conf need to
look like for UDP?  Do I need to change my ppp.conf on either end of the
connection when switching from TCP to UDP, besides changing the protocol in
the device declaration?

Here is the line in inetd.conf that I tried:

ppp-in   dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/ppp   ppp -direct ppp-in

Here is ppp.conf for the server (ppp called from inetd):

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command

ppp-in:
        set timeout 0
        set ifaddr 172.16.1.1 10.10.83.17 255.255.255.248
        add 10.10.83.16/29 HISADDR

Here is ppp.conf for the client:

default:
 set escape 0xff
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command Connect hdlc
 set dial
 set timeout 0

ppp-in:
 set device wesson:6668/udp
 set ifaddr 10.10.83.17 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.255