Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 07:17:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Bryan Fullerton <bjf@samurai.com>
Cc:        <net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE latency

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Bryan Fullerton wrote:

> >Since the first link to the DSL is not your system but the box
> >above it, I really suspect that is the problem.
>
> The pings that I provided were to the first hop, ie my gateway at the
> other end of the connection. It could be latency in my provider's
> network, I suppose, but seems unlikely it'd affect me in two
> locations and not my friend in a third (also downtown). But certainly
> possible.
>
> >   BTW I am NOT using PPPoE but PPoA.
>
> So.. not actually doing packet encapsulation and authentication with
> FreeBSD PPP then? If so, then we're not comparing apples to apples.

Here's apples to apples.  PPPoE, nat, webserver running about 2000
hits/day, 768/128 Ameritech DSL - dynamic IP.  The computer is a
233 PII with 64MB ram and FreeBSD 4.1.1 (with the tcpmssd patch to ppp)
but the network cards are both CNET 100Base-TX cards.  The below ping
times are pretty much normal, even tho I'm in the middle of a file
transfer.

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 24.203/28.876/35.084/4.076 ms

One thing you might want to try is bringing their router to your
place and see what happens.

Vince.