Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:00:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <up@3.am>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel panics on new install

My first FreeBSD install; got the whole kit, read the docs, used what I
thought was the best hardware:

Intel L440GX+ Mother board (built-in Adaptec AIC-7896)
3 x IBM 9.1GB LVD UW SCSI drives
Generic IDE CDROM

The hard drives are set as SCSI ID's 2, 3 and 4, with the last one
terminated via the drive's jumper.

I managed (after a lot of screwing around with termination, and connector
order, etc) to get to the fdisk screen, define the partitions, but as soon
as I try to install after selecting my distribution (developer) and
calling for the CDROM install, I get:

"panic - going nowhere without my init!"

At this point I'm wildly speculating that maybe I need a good, internal
active terminator.

Any and all clues appreciated!

up@3.am							    http://3.am