Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:29:33 -0600
From:      Eric Long <eric@metrotv.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   rc.conf not starting up

--B_3098820574_2194642

Upgraded from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.5-STABLE, no startup scripts/items are being
executed from /etc/rc.conf, /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, etc.

dmesg.today output is virtually empty once it reaches the "Doing initial
network setup" stage.  Basically, nothing is executed from this point on so
I have to manually set the default route, ip configuration, etc.

I ran mergemaster.  Tried going back to old /etc contents in place of newly
installed /etc contents, same thing.

What is wrong with this picture?  At what point are the contents of rc.conf
executed and why isn't this happening on this newly updated box?

-Eric

--B_3098820574_2194642

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>rc.conf not starting up</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Upgraded from 4.0-RELEASE to 4.5-STABLE, no startup sc=
ripts/items are being executed from /etc/rc.conf, /usr/local/etc/rc.d/, etc.=
<BR>
<BR>
dmesg.today output is virtually empty once it reaches the &quot;Doing initi=
al network setup&quot; stage. &nbsp;Basically, nothing is executed from this=
 point on so I have to manually set the default route, ip configuration, etc=
.<BR>
<BR>
I ran mergemaster. &nbsp;Tried going back to old /etc contents in place of =
newly installed /etc contents, same thing.<BR>
<BR>
What is wrong with this picture? &nbsp;At what point are the contents of rc=
.conf executed and why isn't this happening on this newly updated box?<BR>
<BR>
-Eric</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>