Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:12:12 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Chuck Cranor <chuck@research.att.com>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG, Tim Salo <salo@networkcs.com>, "John D. DeHart" <jdd@arl.wustl.edu>, Zubin Dittia <zubin@ccrc.wustl.edu>, guru@arl.wustl.edu
Subject:   Re: ATM in FreeBSD, status requested!

In message <19990108155537.A1179348@research.att.com>, Chuck Cranor writes:

>    i've received several copies of messages from this list regarding
>the status of my BSDATM code WRT FreeBSD over the holidays.

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for a very nice analyzis.

I can personally add one item to your list:

If the adaptec card is in a dockingstation, it will not probe
correctly unless a powercycle is performed.  I've given up on
figuring out why (heisenbug, whenever I tried to reproduce it worked
fine, whenever I was in a hurry it failed, sometimes also after
several powercycles), and plugged that particular machine on a
100mbit ethernet instead.

>based on that, i believe that it may be worthwhile to look at the
>driver/upper-layer interface differences between the two systems and
>seeing if the two interfaces can be merged so that both HARP and
>BSDATM can share lower level drivers.

This is basically the point I'm most interested in because of the
influx of 25.6Mbit ATM based ADSL stuff we are starting to hear
about.  I would hate for us to have two drivers for every single
atm device out there...

Wrt, ALTQ I'm informed that no matter what IPV6 FreeBSD choose,
ALTQ will be part of the packet at this time, so I think that
will be sorted out at that time.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!