Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:03:31 -0700
From:      Gopakumar H Pillai <gopu@global.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NTP via modem(ACTS) to NIST

I compiled xntp3-5.92 and configured it to work using ACTS via modem
(/dev/acts1 -> /dev/cuaa2) connecting to NIST. When I bring up the
server it dials but after connecting the machine freezes.

So I got the latest version of NTP, ntp-4.0.72c and compiled it. But it
wouldn't dial at all.

* I have /dev/acts1 as a symbolic link to /dev/cuaa2 which is my modem.
* I have FreeBSD 2.2.2
My configuration file looks like this:
============ Start ========
#
# NTP configuration file (ntp.conf)
#
server 127.127.18.1     # NIST ACTS modem driver
fudge 127.127.18.1 time1 .0650
phone ats6=5dt13034944774 ats6=5dt13034944785 ats6=5dt13034944774
#
broadcast 192.168.0.255
#
# Miscellaneous stuff
#
driftfile /usr/local/ntp/etc/ntp.drift  # path for drift file
statsdir /usr/local/ntp/logs/  # directory for statistics files
filegen peerstats file peerstats type day enable
filegen loopstats file loopstats type day enable
filegen clockstats file clockstats type day enable

Should I acvivate xntpd in /etc/rc.conf file ?
What should I add in the crontab file? Is it possible to have it working
without authentication?

Thanks a lot

Hi Dough, I do expect an answer from you.
--Gopu (gopu@global.com)