Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:31:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      os2_daemon@altavista.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD security on TCP/IP question.

Hello,
I've just ran into trouble for mucking around with ifconfig and conflicting IP addresses. I'm just an ordinary user without any deep TCP/IP knowledge.

It all started when curiously, I tried to put 172.16.1.1 which is an NT server into ifconfig. Ifconfig said some error messages that the IP address have been taken by another machine. Who cares ...

Next day, the sysadmin came to me and accusing me for trying to hijack the system. He told me that apparently I crashed his NT by doing so. This brought me a very big question. Was he just bluffing, or the NT seriously cannot defend against this ?
Could please anyone explain what had happened in detail?
I've heard of something called "IP spoofing", is this one of them ?
I also wonder what will happen to a FreeBSD box if some other computer claim the same IP address.
Thank You.